Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Summer Sanity Savers #1

School's out and summer is here, well, sorta. It's been unseasonably chilly here in Minnesota, so we're just now getting our first taste of warm weather. We are, however, trying to adjust to the new summer schedule... or lack thereof.

Speedy's teachers have stressed the importance of keeping a pretty regular schedule during the summer in order to keep him calmer and happier. Most kids thrive on routine, and that's especially true with kiddos with Autism. So, in an attempt to keep my sanity and keep him and his sister busy and happy this summer, I came up with a daily schedule that we could stick to most days of the week. It includes the basics- snacks, meals, outside time, planned activities, and free time.

I set aside a time in the morning and a time after "quiet time" for activities I have planned- usually one outdoor and one indoor and they are relatively simple. A wagon ride in the morning before it gets too hot and a sensory bin in the afternoon after quiet time. I also try to plan a couple play dates during the month to keep the kids social.

Weekends aren't planned, but we usually have something going on with friends or family.

I know it sounds a little tedious to actually plan and schedule every day of the summer, but it really isn't that bad. It keeps the kids busy, they get to try new activities, and I keep my sanity. At least that's the hope. I use my Summer Sanity Saver Pinterest board to find new and fun ideas, too!

Here are my recent summer sanity savers. Pretty much everything came from the Dollar Tree and has been a big hit with the kids! I think I spent about $10.00 and it's provided us an entire month of fun so far!




Things I purchased:

  • 2 bags of dry pinto beans
  • Set of toy gardening toys
  • Set of plastic cups
  • Polka dot paint roller
  • Various bags of plastic animals
  • Glitter glue
  • Marbles
  • Mesh strainer

Take a peek at a couple activities we've done using these items...

I hid marbles(they're hiding in the picture above) in play-doh (we already had some). 
The kids loved trying to find all the marbles and it was great for fine motor skills.

One of many sensory bins. Just beans and creatures. Add scoops and cups for more fun! 

Stay tuned for more summer sanity savers!


2 comments:

  1. I love the beans and creatures idea! I have some plastic Disney princesses and animals that would work great for this! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...