Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Healthilicious: Whipped Greek Yogurt Cream

It's safe to say that it's no secret that I have a sweet tooth. It's kind of ironic, really, considering I'm also kind of a health nerd. I'm also kind of obsessed with greek yogurt. So, sweet tooth + greek yogurt obsession= 0, right? Like, they cancel each other out. :)

The other day I was craving some berries & whipped cream, but was feeling guilty about the whipped cream part. I got the idea to create a whipped greek yogurt cream; I wasn't quite sure how it would work or if it would work at all, but I was going to give it a try.

My first try failed, but I gave it another go and whipped greek yogurt cream instantly became my new favorite way to use greek yogurt!



It's still light like whipped cream, but also a little creamy and tangy from the greek yogurt. It was the perfect thing to top my super sweet berries (and I bet it would be delish on top of homemade pancakes or waffles!) and I'm sure I'll be eating this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack for the next week.

The best thing about this recipe is that you can adjust the sweetness. I knew my berries were super sweet, so I didn't make my cream as sweet as I normally would. My recipe reflects this, so you may need to add more sweetener to yours. You can also control the type of sweetener you use- I used a combination of pure maple syrup and granulated sugar. Any sweetener would work well here.

I wouldn't call this recipe "healthy", but it's definitely "healthier" because I subbed half of my regular whipped cream recipe with the whipped greek yogurt. With added protein, as well as live and active cultures from the yogurt we've definitely boosted the nutritional value of regular ol' whipped cream!

My daughter even loved it, so it's kid-approved!



Whipped Greek Yogurt Cream

Ingredients

3/4 c. heavy cream
3/4 c. plain non-fat greek yogurt (I'm partial to Chobani)
2-3 splashes pure maple syrup
2-3 tsp. pure granulated sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (optional)

Directions

Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, whisk the heavy cream and maple syrup together until it forms soft peaks (or stiff peaks if you prefer that consistency). If you don't have a stand mixer, an electric hand mixer works great too! 

Transfer the whipped cream to a medium sized bowl and set aside. 

Rinse out the mixing bowl, then add greek yogurt and sugar. Add vanilla extract if you're feeling fancy. Whip for approximately 2 minutes. Taste and add another teaspoon of sugar if need be. 

Add yogurt to whipped cream and fold gently until combined. Check sweetness level and add another splash of sweetener if needed. 

Store in airtight container for up to one week and enjoy! 

10 comments:

  1. What a neat idea!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! I love fresh fruit ideas! I would love to have you come share at my Show Me Your Plaid Monday's linky party! http://www.pandpkitchen.com/2013/07/07/show-me-your-plaid-mondays-29/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm I loooooove Greek yogurt...seriously, I'm addicted!

    This sounds like a fun and delicious treat to have.

    Found your site through Wonderful Food Wednesdays!

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think half and half would work instead of heavy cream?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely use your recipe. I am from Greece and live in Greece also and know the "chopani" which means "shepherd". I love yogurt and use in many ways but it never occurred to me to mix with the cream in order to "lighten" it up. Actually it becomes Iike crème fresh of French brothers and sisters. When civilizations and cultures mix together good things happen everywhere!!!! Bravo! And thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made my own whipped greek yogurt after having it at a resort on vacation. I used one 17 oz, container whole Greek yogurt (Fage), 1/2 tsp vanilla and a splash of orange juice. Makes 2 servings. 11g fat, 9 g carb, 20 g protein. I didn't add any sugar, although certainly that's to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea, I just LOVE it!! Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe at Saturday Night Fever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love greek yogurt, but have no heavy cream.....looks like I'll be experimenting lol.
    Your post made me realize I can try it with greek yogurt so thanks. Ill post my results on
    my website www.homeplate2013.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is healthy. Low-fat is unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your recipe inspired me... I took the plain nonfat Greek yogurt and only added a teaspoon of lemon curd before I whipped it up! DELISH!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...