Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Real Food: 5 Minute Whipped Cream

If you're anything like me, and most people I know, you love whipped cream. I mean, how can you not? Plus, you can put on so many things- cake, pie, hot chocolate, coffee drinks... the list is pretty endless.

While I love me some whipped cream, about a year ago I realized that the stuff I was buying at the store had a bunch of added junk to it. I couldn't figure out why artificial flavors and other "junk" was added to something as simple as whipped cream.

I knew I could do myself and my family better. In my head it was simple, really. Some cream, a little sugar, and if I'm feeling fancy I'll add some pure vanilla extract or peppermint.

Just to compare- here is the ingredient list for a popular whipped cream on the market:

INGREDIENTS: Cream, Nonfat Milk, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Mono And Diglycerides, Natural Flavor and Artificial Flavors, Carrageenan,Propellant Nitrous Oxide.


My recipe below eliminates the unnecessary ingredients: 

1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional) 

Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, whisk the heavy whipping cream and sugar together until it forms soft peaks (or stiff peaks if you prefer that consistency). If you don't have a stand mixer, an electric hand mixer works great too! You could also go old-school and use a bowl and whisk- hello, workout! 



Add in the extract and whisk until combined (this will only take a few seconds)... and then you're done! 


Store in an airtight container for about a week... if it lasts that long! 

See how easy it is to make your own whipped cream? Plus, you're cutting out all the junk that your body isn't made to process. Win, win!  


5 comments:

  1. I love making my own whipped cream... it's so much yummier than the stuff in the can or the tub!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!!!! I am trying to get all processed foods out of my home and would LOVE having some whipped ream around!!! I am hosting a blog op on my site and would love for you to share! www.frugalfitfamily.com!! Now following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making my own - So much tastier and better! LOVE the peppermint extract idea! I've had a dessert at a restaurant before that I LOVED, and it had a peppermint whipped cream on top. I can't believe I never thought to try that! So simple yet brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea didn't know you can do this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good! Could add this to several recipes!! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...