Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Homemade Vanilla Maple Cinnamon Coffee Creamer

By now you all know I'm a coffee lover, and these cool fall temperatures making me reach for the coffee pot every morning to warm up!

I've recently started experimenting with making my own coffee creamer at home. I just can't handle the fact that store-bought "creamers" contain pretty much anything but cream in them- just a bunch of chemicals and artificial flavors. If you've read my "Cut the Junk" series, you'll know that we've kicked artificial flavors and colors to the curb in our house and I have to admit, my store-bought coffee creamer was probably the hardest for me to give up.

Just to put it in perspective, here is the ingredient list for a popular brand of vanilla-caramel creamer:

INGREDIENTS: WATER, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, COLOR ADDED, CARRAGEENAN.


Can you spot the cream? Milk? Vanilla? Caramel? Yeah... neither can I.

Since the fall season is upon us and I'm obsessed, I figured I'd share my favorite homemade seasonal flavor with you guys today- Vanilla Maple Cinnamon. It reminds me of the maple rolls my parents sell at their bakery. #ohmygoshyum! Yes, I just used a hashtag in my blog post. I also almost said 'LOL" out loud the other day when I read something funny. Woah- social media is getting the best of me, but that's a whole other blog post and I digress...



So back to the creamer- all it takes is a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of your time. I promise you'll never go back to the store-bought "creamer" ever again.

Vanilla Maple Cinnamon Coffee Creamer

Ingredients
1 c. organic 1/2 and 1/2
3-4 tbsp. pure maple syrup (you could use 2 tbsp. for less sweetness)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon (up 1/4 tsp.)

Warm 1/2 and 1/2 and maple syrup in saucepan. Once you see a little steam coming from the pan, whisk in your vanilla and cinnamon. Be mindful as you're adding the cinnamon- add a little at a time and taste as you go.

Remove from heat and pour into a glass container. Mason jars work awesome for this. Cool in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

Creamer is good for 7-10 days in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!

What's your favorite coffee creamer flavor? Let me know- I might try it out next and feature it on the blog! 

1 comment:

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...