Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Reinvent Your Leftovers

I thought once school started and we all got settled into our routine again that life would slow down. I'm always waiting for my calendar to be clear of appointments, weddings, photography sessions, birthday parties, etc. but that never seems to happen!

At the beginning of the school year, I quickly realized that I was not a super mom. No way I was making a fresh and new meal every day of the week- wasn't going to happen. I've never been a leftovers kind of girl either, so that didn't help my problem much. Well, until I realized that I could make 1 or 2 "reinvented" meals from the fresh meal I prepared! I've been doing this now for about a month and it has been awesome! So many of my meals can be reinvented and I plan my meals around this very concept. Not to mention, this way of cooking has been totally awesome for our bank account. :)



Take a peek at how I reinvent some of my favorite meals- maybe it will inspire you to do the same!

Chili reinvented into:
Chili Baked Potatoes
Chili Pasta

Roasted Chicken reinvented into:
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
Sandwiches
Salads
Lettuce Wraps
Chicken & Broccoli Pizza

Turkey Meatballs reinvented into:
Meatball Sandwiches
Spaghetti & Meatballs
Lasagna (crumble meatballs for this)
Calzones
BBQ Meatballs

Ground Taco Meat reinvented into:
Burritos
Taco Salad
Tostadas
Enchiladas
Quesadillas
Taco Pizza
Mexican Sloppy Joes

Salsa Chicken reinvented into:
Nachos
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Pioneer Woman's recipe is the best!)
Enchiladas
Quesadillas
Mexican Stuffed Peppers

BBQ Pulled Pork reinvented into:
Quesadillas
BBQ Pizza`
BBQ Pork Wrap w/ Ranch Dressing

Grilled Chicken Breast reinvented into:
Enchiladas
Chicken Pesto Pasta
Chicken Salad
Grilled Chicken Salad
Cobb Salad
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Chicken Caesar Wrap
Stir Fry

Chicken Tortilla Soup reinvented (drain liquid) into:
Tacos
Nachos

Crock Pot Roast Beef reinvented into: 
Beef Stroganoff
Philly Cheesesteak (sandwiches, pizza, or stuffed peppers)
Tacos
Beef Stew

A few key things to remember:

  • If you won't be using your leftovers the next day, be sure to freeze them. Use a freezer bag or a Food Saver to store leftovers.
  • When purchasing your meats, be sure to take into account the reinvented meals you've planned and buy the larger package! 
  • If you have a larger family, you may have to double recipes (like chicken tortilla soup) in order ot have leftovers. 
Do you reinvent leftovers? What are your "go to" meals? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...