Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Healthilicious Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars

This past weekend was perfect. There was a chill in the air, I wore my new TOMS, I had a breakfast date with my mamma- followed by a coffee date. I had a lunch date and an afternoon full of shopping with my sister- we found her the perfect outfit to wear for her baby shower this coming weekend! I may or may not have had more coffee. I also cooked up a batch of chili on Sunday; the weekend just screamed FALL... and I love everything about fall- it's my absolute favorite.

Here is me and my sister enjoying our afternoon Starbucks. I had my favorite- Caramel Macchiato.


With the fall season comes recipes with everything cinnamon, apple, and pumpkin, and if you're on Pinterest, you have seen your fair share of it already!

One of my favorite sweet treats to make during this time of year are my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars. They make my kitchen smell like a Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte- who wouldn't love that?


These bars are super moist and melt in your mouth; I suggest sharing these with family, co-workers, or neighbors or these may just disappear in less than 24 hours.

I made these "healthilicious" by using white whole wheat flour, substituting some of the granulated sugar for honey, and using dark chocolate. The spices I chose to use in my version of these bars are my fall favs- you could easily add a pinch of ginger and/or clove.


Enough chatter- let's get to the recipe!



Healthilicious Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
adapted from Bake at 350

Ingredients
2 C. white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1 C. unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 C. pure organic honey
1/2 C. granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla
1 C. pumpkin puree
1 12 oz. bag of dark chocolate chips or chunks

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with tin foil (if you don't have foil on hand, just grease your pan).

Whisk together your flour, spices, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

With a stand mixer (a hand mixer would work, too!) , cream together butter and sugar until well combined and smooth. Add honey, egg, and vanilla and mix until combined. Beat in pumpkin puree. It might look a little curdled- don't freak out. This is totally normal!

Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients. Mix only until combined- it's important not to over mix the batter. Stir in your dark chocolate.

Spread your batter into your 9x13 pan lined with foil. I used the back of a spoon to spread it and even the batter out.

Bake approximately 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Let the bars cool completely in your pan and cut into squares.


Enjoy... and try not to eat the entire pan. I dare ya!



1 comment:

  1. Must make these! I'm kind of ambivalent about pumpkin. I don't like pumpkin pie but occasionally enjoy a muffin or a slice of bread. Dark chocolate - sounds like the perfect complement! P.S. Totally jealous of your perfect fall weekend - sounds like heaven! aaaawwww.... sigh.... Fall. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...