Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Spring Cleaning the Natural Way: The Kitchen


I love this time of year- most days I can open the windows and let some fresh air in, get the kids outside to play and burn off energy, and sip on my iced drinks like it's nobody's business!

The other thing I love? Spring cleaning! I know, I know- not everyone loves spring cleaning, and I really don't like the act of cleaning... but I like the result. Nothing a little Starbucks can't help and in the end I feel like my house is super clean. The deep cleaning jobs rarely get done- who has time for that on a regular basis? Not me!

Besides making a list and game plan for all of my cleaning tasks, I also make sure I have all the cleaning supplies I need. I make pretty much all of my own cleaning supplies now, and it has been so nice to be chemical-free. I don't have to lock the cabinet under the sink anymore, and I can rest easy knowing the things I'm spraying around the house are all-natural and healthy for my kiddos and my dogs. Not to mention, it saves us money on cleaning supplies. It's a win-win situation!




Since I spend most of the time in the kitchen, I like to start my spring cleaning there. Here are the cleaning recipes I use in my kitchen:

Window Cleaner
1/2 C. White Vinegar
10-15 drops lemon essential oil
Water to fill

Mix ingredients in 24 oz. spray bottle and give it a good shake. Since oil and water don't mix, be sure you shake it up each time you use it.

All-Purpose Cleaner
1/2 tsp. Dr. Bronner's liquid soap (find at Target!)
1 tsp. Borax
2 tbsp. white vinegar
2-4 drops essential oil (lemon, purification, or thieves)
Hot water to fill

Mix all ingredients in a 24 oz. spray bottle. Shake before use. Spray area to be cleaned and wipe off with sponge or rag. Use on countertops, stovetops, refrigerators, etc.

Sink Scrub
1 cup baking soda
2 drops lemon essential oil
2 drops thieves essential oil

Pour baking soda into mason jar. Add essential oil, twist on the lid, and give it a good shake. Rinse sink and sprinkle mix in and around sink- using more in heavily stained/soiled areas. Scrub and rinse clean.

Deodorizing Spray
Small spray bottle (4 oz) filled with water
10-15 drops purification essential oil

Mix together and spritz throughout room. One or two spritzes is enough in a small room (bathroom, closet, etc.). Perfect to use in the kitchen- especially after cooking. It neutralizes the odor- instead of covering it up!

Oven Cleaner
Spray water in bottom of oven and cover with baking soda. Spray with more water. Let sit overnight and wipe up in the morning!

Stainless Steel Appliances
I use a Kaywos Cloth for my stainless steel. All you have to do is get it wet, wring it out, and then wipe. It works awesome and is the best thing I've found for the outside of my oven and microwave!

Check out some of the natural cleaning recipes we've shared in the past:




Many of my cleaning supplies use essential oils- you can find and order them HERE. (I do receive a small commission on any sales that occur through this link.) If you have any questions about the oils, feel free to shoot an e-mail or leave a comment! 

Have you started spring cleaning? Share your tips and tricks with us below! 
 photo mommy-sig_zps6a343660.jpg

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful site Jess and Lynns! Just found it. Definitely going to add you to my list of follows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these ideas!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...