Monday, March 17, 2014

How does my garden grow? {Part 2: Seeds}


If you live in a warmer growing zone, now is a great time to start seeds! See how I've been researching and making my garden plans here.

Last year, I tried my hand at growing from seeds. I'll be honest- my success rate was about 50%. This year, I have learned from my mistakes. Here's how I planted seeds this weekend:

Supplies: 
Organic seed starting mix
Seed pots (the ones pictured here can be planted along with the plant that grows=no waste!)
A scoop (mine is a 1/4 cup scoop)
Seeds (I chose to grown green beans and carrots this year)
A spray bottle
A cookie sheet
Place the seed cups on the cookie sheet. This will make it easier to move them later.

Using the scoop, fill the seed cups with the seed starting mix.

Make holes for the seeds- refer to the back of the seed packet for how deep the seeds need to be planted.

Place 1 seed per hole for larger seeds (like green beans) and a few per hole for smaller seeds (like carrots) *this helps to make sure your little seeds don't get washed away and increases the likelihood that at least one will sprout*

Cover the seeds with the seed starter mix.
Next, you will need to water well. You want to soak the soil, but not drown the seeds.

I have found that a garden sprayer gives you greater control over how much water you are putting in (especially if kiddos are helping) and the pressure is gentle enough that it won't displace your seeds.
Now it's time to place the seeds in a warm, safe place. The cookie sheet is great to keep the seed pots on for easy moving. 

I recommend placing the seeds on top of your dryer. It's a warm, out-of-the-way environment.

I also cover my seeds with plastic wrap for added protection.

Keep the garden sprayer close by and water the seeds everyday or every other day- just enough to keep the soil moist.

With seeds, it's not about getting sunlight, it's about keeping them warm and watered so they can sprout.
Once you start to see the sprouts, then you will need to move the seed pots outside.
Even after seeds have sprouted, it's best to wait until they are a little larger to transplant them. Sprouts and plants need warmth, water, and sunlight!

I went ahead and bought a few plants while I was at the store. I won't plant these for a couple more weeks so I am using a cookie sheet again to keep them together. This way I can easily move them to the garage if there is a chance it will freeze overnight.
How about this for a little St. Paddy's Day green? 

Stay tuned for more gardening very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...