Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Boost your Iron Absorption and Intake!

Ok, so, my entire life I've struggled with my iron being "borderline"- meaning, the cut off for normal is 12.0 and my levels are 12.0. Or, they're 11.2, but it's so close to normal that they don't recommend treatment- which is really annoying. ;)

What I've recently come to find out, while working with my doctor, is that I have a low ferritin level. Ferritin basically binds to iron so your body can store it. My body doesn't store iron very well, which means I have to really pay attention to the foods I eat and be sure I'm taking in a certain amount of iron-rich foods every day. I tried iron supplements, but they were sooooo hard on my stomach. It wasn't fun. 

Ok, so how can we boost our body's ability to absorb all this iron we're trying to take in?

First, we have to understand the two types of iron:

Heme: heme iron comes from animal sources and is most easily absorbed by your body. Think beef, pork, and lamb. 

Nonheme: nonheme iron comes from plant sources like veggies, legumes, and cereals. Your body can't absorb this type of iron as easily. Spinach, black beans, cheerios, etc. 





Pair iron-rich veggies, legumes, and cereals with Vitamin C:  When I eat my spinach egg white omelette for breakfast, I always pair it with an orange or a glass of OJ. That way I know my body is able to absorb the iron from the spinach. 

Pair iron-rich veggies, legumes, and cereals with iron-rich meats: Slice some steak and throw it over a bed of spinach and other veggies. The meat will actually help your body absorb the iron from the spinach! Or, make this yummy turkey black bean chili, but use grass-fed ground beef instead. 

Avoid coffee or tea at meal time: I know, I know. I love a good cup of coffee with my breakfast, too! But, these yummy drinks contain polyphenols that inhibit your body's ability to absorb iron. Bummer, I know. I still enjoy my coffee- but I might do so after I finish a meal. 

Avoid calcium: This inhibits iron absorption, too. 

Cook with Cast Iron: Such a simple way to get some extra iron! Some foods will actually absorb some of the iron from the skillet while they're cooking. 

Have you or do you struggle with low iron? What has worked best for you? 

2 comments:

  1. Anemia is a very common issue for people with Down Syndrome, so when my son was born, the nurses advised to throw away all aluminum and Teflon pans and get old cast iron. Apparently, the antique cast iron is better. That what I did and 21 yrs later, we have never had an issue with anemia. Yay for the wisdom of good nurses!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...