Monday, January 27, 2014

Soup-er Delicious Veggie Stew


There's nothing better on a cold day than a hearty stew, right? This recipe is my mother in law's. My husband asked me to make him vegetable stew shortly after we got married and it took me about 2 minutes to realize I just needed to call his mom to find out how she makes this yumminess.

It's a great recipe to incorporate fresh veggies, but you can use frozen too! Here are our favorites to add, feel free to mix it up:
Green Cabbage (half a head)
Onion (half)
1 Yellow Squash
1 Zucchini
2 Potatoes
5-6 Carrots
Green Beans (I use a hand full, but this can be added per your taste)
In addition to the fresh veggies you will also need:
Frozen peas and corn. I usually get the veggie "medley" for extra carrots and green beans. I only add 1 cup, but again, this can be added per your taste.
One can of diced tomatoes.
A whole bottle of V8.
**You can easily add stew meat**

To make the stew:
Wash all fresh veggies.
In a large stock pot over medium heat, brown the stew meat, if using.
While the meat is browning, peel the potatoes and carrots then start chopping all the fresh vegetables. Try to make them about 1 inch pieces.
Stir the meat occasionally.
Add 1 tbs. butter to the stock pot, add in onion (once meat is brown).
Stir occasionally.
Once onion starts to turn translucent, add in the potatoes and carrots.
Stir to mix.
Add the V8.
Bring to a simmer.
Add in remaining ingredients.
Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork tender. About 20 minutes.
You can keep this simmering, covered, for about an hour if you want. 
Serve with crackers.
*This freezes really well.*

Stay warm, friends!

2 comments:

  1. I am not the biggest fan of stew but that does look great for cold days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish! I have a similar recipe, I'm really intrigued by the v8 idea though! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...