Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Thanksgiving Hostess Checklist

Wow, it's already November. How in the heck did that happen so fast?

Ever since my family and I moved back to Minnesota 3 years ago, we have always hosted Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve at our house. It's fun to gather family in our home, but it also takes a lot of prep and work. I find myself singing "Cinderelli, Cinderelli!" the entire week leading up to Thanksgiving. More often than not, I'm ready to pull my hair out and order pizza come Thursday morning. :)

In an effort to get me to chill out, A always asks, "What can I do to help?" and I normally look at him and say, "Do you not see the mess? Just start cleaning.". What I've come to find out about husbands, or, at least my own, is that they need direction. Hubs needs a list- a list that is detailed and extremely specific- for two reasons: #1 being he is lost without details. #2 is that his wife is a little particular (I've come to love and accept this... ha ha!). Honestly, I love lists as well, so it only makes sense to keep one that both of us can refer to while getting ready for the holidays.

In addition to the Company's Coming list we've shared on the blog, here is a list specific to hosting Thanksgiving- or any holiday, really!



3-4 weeks prior

  • Decide if you'll do all the cooking, or if you'll hold a "potluck style" dinner. 
  • Create guest list
  • Mail invites or call/e-mail guests. If you're holding a potluck style meal, be sure to assign each person a food to bring. You can assign a category such as "dessert" or be more specific, like "pumpkin pie". 
  • Take inventory of your dinnerware

2 weeks prior
  • Finalize your menu. This is especially important if you're doing all the cooking! 
  • Decide if you'll do a "buffet style" dinner or a "sit down" dinner.
  • Test any new recipes you'll be making. 
  • Create your shopping list. Be sure to include spices- they can be easily overlooked. 
  • Shop for all non-perishable foods and the turkey. This way you beat the crowds! 
  • Purchase tablecloths, napkins, dinnerware, center pieces, or any other decorations to make the meal fun and festive! 
  • Complete any deep-cleaning tasks that you have on your to-do list. Baseboards, refrigerator, and oven-cleaning are just a few that I typically do. 
2-5 days prior
  • Figure out cooking times for all the dishes you're preparing, and come up with a game plan. I always make a list so I know what time each dish should be put in the oven, on the stove, etc.
  • Thaw turkey- depending on the size, you may need to start this a few days earlier. 
  • Prepare pies (if they are freezer-friendly)
Day before
  • Double-check to be sure you have all the ingredients you need.
  • Shop for veggies and any other perishables. Wash and trim your veggies, then store in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator. 
  • Prepare pies and other foods that will hold well overnight. This might include cranberry sauce or pies. 
  • Do light cleaning tasks- clean bathroom, sweep and mop floors, etc. 
And that, my friends, is how I make it through being our family's Thanksgiving hostess every year!

Do you have a game plan for Thanksgiving? Will you be a guest or a hostess this year? 




1 comment:

  1. Thankfully my aunt hosts which means they do the meats and rolls. Everyone else brings along a dish or two and then we are set!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you guys- it makes our day!
{We typically respond to comments through e-mail as long as you have provided an email address.}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...